Safeguarding confidentiality and security of your banking information is one of our top priorities in EBank, targeting to protect our clients, we recommend you to adhere to the following Information Security guidelines:
1. Phone banking security tips
1. Phone banking security tips
Download the official EBank mobile applications from trusted sources only (App Store or Google Play)
2. Keep your phone’s applications and operating system updated to the latest version and avoid using any mobile devices or operating system s that have been modified outside vendor supported configurations. e.g., “jail-broken” or “rooted”.
3. Always lock your phone with a password or PIN. Turn on auto-lock option.
4. Don’t store sensitive information like passwords directly on your device.
5. Do not leave your Mobile Banking or E-wallet session unattended for any period of time. Always sign out or logoff
6. Regularly update anti-virus and/or protection software(s) on your Smart Device(s)
7. Don’t pair or accept files from an unknown Bluetooth device
8. Do not use public Wi-Fi networks to access your online banking services, such as Internet cafes, Libraries, airport, etc.
9. Keep your registered mobile number updated with the bank; you can change your contact details and update your number by visiting any of our branches.
10. Periodically check your account balances and transaction histories and report any unusual changes on our hotline 16710.
11. In case your phone is lost or stolen, report to the bank immediately on our hotline 16710.
2. Security Tips When Using ATMs
Protect your banking information when using Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) by adhering to the following security measures:
• Be careful and alert when using the ATM (observe any strange objects affixed over the ATM, individuals closely monitoring your transactions, etc.) and immediately inform the bank about any incidents by calling the call center at 16710.
• Make sure the keyboard and the card reader are an element of the machine, and not separate components attached externally on the top of the original equipment
• Check that there are no surveillance cameras around or above the keyboard
• Beware of strangers trying to offer help with ATM use
• Make sure to use the PIN guard utility installed on our all our ATMs, and if you had to use an ATM with no PIN guard installed, please make sure to place a piece of paper or an envelope to cover your hand when entering the PIN,
• Update your mobile phone number with the bank to receive notifications of transactions that you make on your account
• Notify the bank immediately if your card is confiscated by the machine or lost
• Immediately notify the bank if you notice suspicious activity around an ATM and abstain from using the machine in question
3. Card Security tips
To protect your cards when using Point of Sale (POS) or when paying online, please make sure to:
• Change the passwords for your cards periodically.
• Do not keep the card and PIN in the same place. It is better to memorize you PIN.
• Keep the card in a safe place and do not allow anyone else to use it.
• Do not save pictures of your debit/credit cards (front or back) on your mobile phone.
• When using the card over POS, watch the person who is entering the card on the POS system and enter the PIN yourself on the system rather than dictating the seller.
• Do not use free or public Wi-Fi networks to conduct any shopping or payment activities.
• Always use the latest version of web browser to ensure that security updates are implemented
• Sometimes, scammers will try to trick you into revealing information about your cards either over the phone or through e-mail. The bank would never call to ask for personal information like your card number, expiry date of your card, PIN, or the security number on the back of your Card (CVV). When you call us, call center personnel will ask for personal information for identification purposes only.
• If you are visiting a website, write the address directly in the browser’s address bar and do not click on links in any incoming emails without checking its authenticity.
• Shop only at trustworthy e-stores, when using credit cards on websites; ensure that you are dealing with secure and well-known websites. Note: “Secure Websites” HAVE a lock icon
• We’ve introduced EBank’s 3D secure service to protect your online shopping against any possible fraudulent attempts by providing you with a Onetime Password (OTP) for each online transaction with your EBank Card.
How does 3D Secure work?
• All purchases at participating online merchants will automatically redirect you to the 3D Secure (OTP) page after entering your Card details.
• You will receive the (OTP) via SMS on your mobile number registered with EBank.
• Enter the (OTP) and confirm and validate the transactions.
• If you enter your 3D Secure Password incorrectly, the transaction will be declined and the system will ask you to re-enter the code sent to you by SMS
• Log out of the website once you have finished your shopping.
• Avoid sharing your card or account information via e-mail, phone, social media, or other tools of communication.
• Destroy expired cards and dispose of them properly
• Review your account statement periodically to be aware of the banking transactions executed on your accounts.
• Immediately report any SMS that you may receive regarding a transaction that you did not perform by calling the hotline 16710.
• Immediately report stolen or lost cards, even if they were confiscated by the ATM by calling the hotline 16710.
Measures to take in order to avoid being a victim of fraud:
• Do not disclose information related to your cards, such as its number (PAN), CVV, PIN, OTP on email or untrusted websites or telephone calls.
• Do not click on unknown links or download attachments in an e-mail from an unknown sender.
• Make sure that the address of the website you are shopping at begins with HTTP instead of secure HTTPS protocol.
• Do not shop at untrusted websites or e-stores
4. What is Phishing?
- Internet fraudsters create and distribute emails that appear to be legitimate bank correspondences in order to steal personal and financial information.
Please be aware that EBank will NEVER send you an email/SMS/ messages from different mobile applications like WhatsApp messages or phone calls asking you to share confidential information such as date of birth, National ID, Account number, user ID, passwords, OTP, card details like card number (PAN), ATM PIN and CVV.
• Be cautious when using E-mails
• Be careful with any e-mails requesting urgent personal or financial information.
• Do not click on links, or open attachments in emails from an unknown sender
• Never use links in an email to access EBank online banking or website. Instead, open a new browser window and type the https://onlinebanking.ebank.com.eg/?bank_id=01 or www.ebank.com.eg URL directly into the address bar.
• Make sure to keep your bowser updated and that any anti-virus software has the latest security updates.
• Never submit confidential information via forms embedded within email messages.
Important: If you receive an email claiming to be from EBank asking for your financial/personal information, please let us know immediately by calling our 24-Hour Customer Service Centre on 16710 and forward the original email to email@example.com
5. Phone fraud "Vishing”
fraudster making phone calls impersonating a trusted counterparty in order to fraudulently obtain financial or personal information and gain access to their victim’s finances
The bank representatives may contact you when needed but WILL NEVER request for your
confidential information such as date of birth, National ID, Account number, user ID, passwords, OTP, card details like card number (PAN), ATM PIN and CVV.
If a person claims to be a bank representative and requests the above, please do not provide him with any information and contact the bank immediately on call center number 16710.
6. Password Security
Passwords are the keys to your personal and account information. You are strongly recommended to have a strong password. The following are some easy steps that you can take to protect yourself from having your personal information compromised
• Do not disclose your password to any person and don’t write it down.
• Do not inform anyone about your internet Banking password or your ATM PIN number, even if he/she is an EBank staff.
• Make it difficult, your password should have a minimum of 10 characters, be as meaningless as possible and use a combination of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, symbols and numbers
• Do not use passwords that can be easily guessed, such as passwords that contains personal information e.g., children’s names, birth dates, telephone numbers and so forth.
• Change your password frequently to ensure that no one can know it and use it.
• Avoid using the same password for different sites
• If your password has been used or accessed by anyone contact EBank Call Center immediately at 16710
7. Your Computer protection
• Make sure to use the original version of the operating system on your computer and install the latest operating system patches and service packs.
• Always keep your anti-virus software up-to-date.
• Use personal firewall software on your PC.
• Never insert removable media (e.g., CD & USB flash memory) that you do not trust into your computer.
• Do not install any software’s from untrusted sources; avoid installing unnecessary software.
• Don’t store passwords on your computer.
• Make sure to use your own computer when you access EBank internet banking services, and do not use common or shared devices used in public places.
• Please report any suspected privacy abuses or other related security issues to EBank Call Center immediately at 16710
8. What we do to protect your data?
• At EBank, we are committed to protect your privacy and your personal data when using our online services.
• EBank staff are committed to maintain the secrecy and privacy of clients Information.
• We implement the highest standards of security measures to protect your information against any loss, destruction and distortion. We also carry out, periodically, and constantly, security reviews of the banking systems to determine the security level and readiness of our systems.
• All information exchanged during the use of EBank banking services will be protected and encrypted by using Data Encryption Protocol SSL to ensure no one else can read it.
• Make sure you update your information regularly with the bank, especially your mobile number so we can notify you of your financial transactions.
• Our systems automatically disconnect your online banking session after 5 minutes, if you do not make any activity.
• The bank implements OTP to increase the safety level when using electronic channels.
• Be cautious of unsolicited emails asking you to disclose any personal or banking details.
• Be cautious of text messages from anonymous senders, as it can be scam messages aiming to hack your banking account.
• Important: If you receive an email claiming to be from EBank Bank asking for your financial/personal information, please let us know immediately by calling our 24-Hour Customer Service Centre on 16710 and forward the original email to firstname.lastname@example.org